I've been using this linking external databases method with Access
(rather than futz with creating a bad query to try and break the lock)
and it works great, but there's a caveat.  If you're making the mods
locally on your development box and then uploading to a remote server,
you need to ensure that the physical file path to where the Access .mdb
file is stored on the remote server is mirrored on your develpment box.
Apparently Access stores the path when a link to an external .mdb is
made, so they need to be the same on both sites (remote and
development).  For example, if your .mdb file is stored on your remote
server at e:/web/mydomain/mydata/, then you will need to have your
Access databases for your site stored in this same directory on your
development machine.

Chris Montgomery             [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Web Development & Consulting http://www.astutia.com
Allaire Consulting Partner & NetObjects Reseller
210-490-3249/888-745-7603    Fax 210-490-4692