I'm a fan of GeoTrust. Yes, you do tend to pay the piper when going with them
but it's a name that people recognize and they provide 'reissue insurance'
which I know I have personally cashed in on at least a dozen times.

'A name that people recognize': If you purchase an SSL cert through GeoTrust,
they allow you to display their geotrust security symbol graphic on your site.
As you probably already know, there are many people who are paranoid about
submitting their credit card number to ANY site. By putting some sort of
security symbol on your site, you provide a (false) sense of security that your
customers will appreciate. If they actually recognize the company that is being
displayed in the security symbol, even better.

'reissue insurance': Basically it ensures that if you mess up the installation
or blow up your server, you can get another SSL cert without having to pay for
it. Say you generate the request file, send it to GeoTrust, and they issue you
a certificate. You then pull a bonehead move and delete the site from IIS or
spill your beer on the server and it snaps, crackles, and pops. Once you get
things set up again, the cert that GeoTrust sent you will no longer work
because it will no longer match up with the request file. With reissue
insurance, you simply create a new request file and go through the reissue
process - they will send you a new cert using the new request file.

If you want to go with a vendor other than GeoTrust, I personally would make
sure that the vendor provided this sort of insurance since the times that you
cash in on it are typically stressful enough :).

Jake Pilgrim