<snip>

> CF Eclipse has lots of nice features, and if it didn't use over
> 400MB of RAM + VM (not an exaggeration), I think it might even be
> considered usable. Unfortunately, the massive Java bloat, that
> would be funny if it werent so sad, makes the editor
> responsive/usable only to those who have 2GB+ of RAM (unless you
> want to run your own CF Dev instance on the box in which case I'd
> go for 3GB+) which can obviously get prohibitively expensive if
> you have more than 1 or 2 developers using it.

I've got 2GB.  I run Eclipse, CFMX7 on IIS, Firefox, IE, Outlook, any number
of Excel/MS Word documents, JMeter, VisualGC, Tomcat with Alfresco CMS.
CFMX7 gets the first 1GB, all the rest fit within the second 1GB. All within
physical RAM, no paging.

Within Eclipse I use Ant with CFCUnit and Selenium tasks, Subclipse,
XMLBuddy and CFEclipse.  Right now the Eclipse instance has 235MB.

> I guess only the super rich can develop for CF at this point.

2GB of RAM pays for itself before morning tea on Monday.  Everything else I
mentioned above (other than the MS Office stuff) is free.  What are the
super rich CF developers spending their money on?

Jaime Metcher