How are you not?  Both WinZip and WinAce work exactly the same for me on
Vista as they did in XP.  In fact things feel a little faster simply because
Vista seems to handle my dual CPUs better and things feel more responsive
when the CPUs are taxed.

> No more 20 questions when I'm copying/pasting files.

There's only two or three questions: and they only appear if there's an
ambiguity.  If you don't want to see them don't do ambiguous things.

> No more freeze ups. No more blue screens of death.

You must be unlucky or have some very misbehaved hardware.  Like XP the only
cause for a blue-screen should be a kernel-level driver problem.  Unlike XP
Vista-certified drivers won't have that much access.  Either you're running
uncertified drivers or uncertified applications that are demanding more
access than they should have.

> No more asking me questions everytime I make a move.

Turn it off.

> No more goofy explorer window. I want XP's back.

Then go back?  Who the blue blazes is stopping you?

Why bitch and moan?  If you were happy with what you had why would have
upgraded in the first place?  Especially to an OS that clearly was not
compatible with any least some of your stuff?

Have you never upgraded an OS before?  Is that it?  Because if not let me
welcome you: this happens every time.  Wether you're MS or Apple, open
source or closed, upgrading to a new OS is troublesome for the first wave of
adopters.  Next time remember this and wait a year.

 > And I do think it's an issue when MS builds a new OS that won't support
> major, widely-used programs that WERE supported in XP.

Not at all.  Vista supports nearly everything - there are many
incompatibilities but that's out of a universe of software.  MS has no
responsibility to backwards compatibility: it's not a divine right.  It's a
feature - a feature important to their customer base to be sure, but a
feature that they will define how they please.

I would much rather kludgy support for broken software or (as is the case
with most problems) software that unnecessarily asks for more permission
than it needs.  Do it right, do it safe, create a stable base and let the
other vendors fix their stuff.

Jim Davis