> For instance, if I dump (www.netgrow.com.au/files) a JavaScript
> array while using the prototype library, there are a crap load of
> extra functions tacked on to each array and that kind of stuff
> has to add up.

Why does it have to add up? They're not passed by value when you create a
new array, not if they're written correctly. They're passed by reference.
You shouldn't have more than one copy of the actual function in question in
memory, no matter how many arrays you have.

> Today I used a script to output all the variables in an IE window
> (http://www.thomasfrank.se/global_namespace.html) and dumped
> the result (with the above mentioned dump function).  My CPU
> red lined at 100% for TEN MINUTES and then finally cranked
> out 25 MEGS of html dump showing me every single variable,
> function, array, etc in the page.  *MUCH* of the stuff which
> was dumped out was stuff which came from different js
> libraries laying around.

That says more about how long it takes to render HTML tables than it does
about memory usage. I agree that, ideally, you shouldn't have duplication of
functionality that you may get when you use different libraries, though.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/

This email has been processed by SmoothZap - www.smoothwall.net