Conceptually, it's not terribly difficult. It's a matter of monitoring the
mail box where the bounces are returned, and assessing the type of/ reason
for the bounce.

If it's a "hard" bounce (e-mail address malformed or doesn't exist), you
handle it one way, if "soft" (can't deliver right now, etc.) you handle it
differently.

In practice, it can get tricky, just because not all mail servers report the
type of bounce in the same way, making it difficult to handle automatically.

Here is one pretty intriguing tool to manage this stuff:
http://www.boogietools.com/products/

I haven't used it myself, but have heard good things, and it looks like it's
pretty comprehensive. Looking through the feature list should also give you
a clearer picture about what you can do with e-mail bounces, the various
types, etc.