On 8/1/07, Dinner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Quite different from paying license fees tho, isn't that?  In fact, that's
> kind of like what I'm talking about.
> On 8/1/07, James Holmes wrote:
> > Well, sort of. Enterprises often use SLES, RHEL; versions of Linux
> > that are not free.

I don't remember pricing up RHEL under maintenance but here's
something I did look at:

JBoss support / maintenance can very quickly reach $100k / year for
even a moderate server farm (for the app server, Hibernate, clustering
etc - all of which JBoss prices separately). Comparable with annual
support for WebLogic (or WebSphere no doubt - but I only did a direct
comparison of JBoss and WebLogic). The difference in costs between
WebLogic and JBoss came down the initial license fee (about $400k for
the setup I was evaluating). ColdFusion 8 Enterprise would be $120k in
the context of that (a 32 CPU farm) which actually makes CF8 "cheap"
compared to JBoss (assuming you actually pay the support fees) and
very cheap compared to WebLogic.

Just a price point for a relatively small "enterprise" project.
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN

-- Margaret Atwood