> > Are you kidding???  I just replace form.lastname
> > with:   " test'; DROP TABLE table; "
> > Poof, your data'z are gone
>
> ColdFusion would escape that single quote, rendering this
> attempt pretty much useless and "data'z" would still be
> there.  I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't use
> CFQUERYPARAM wherever possible, but it's not so simple to
> inject with a quoted string as it may seem at first glance
> (it can certainly be done).  Now, if this were ASP.Net...

While you're absolutely correct about this specific example not working, you
should read Jochem's most recent post very carefully. It is very difficult
to guarantee that there is no character sequence that will "break out" of
your single-quoted string, and there are people much smarter than me whose
job (or hobby) it is to find these sequences and use them. I can spend my
time worrying about that, or I can use CFQUERYPARAM. It's an easy choice,
and it conforms to the security dictum "deny, then allow" - rather than
identifying every potentially dangerous sequence, I can just use
CFQUERYPARAM to prevent any possible SQL injection. CFQUERYPARAM tells the
database that input values are not executable code. It denies the
possibility of execution for any value.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/

This email has been processed by SmoothZap - www.smoothwall.net