On 8/9/07, Jonathon Stierman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Questions on the custom-tag.  Is there any performance difference between
> this setup and the cfmodule tag?

Nope.

> I'm passing very site-specific objects to
> my module, which makes me reluctant to have it stored in a global location
> accessible by all sites on the server.

If you use CFIMPORT (instead of a custom tag registration), you can
get around the issue.  I usually have a 'tags' folder (watch VC
config!) at the root of my applications to house tags local to the
application, and then CFIMPORT them via the approot CF mapping.

> As for putting it inside a CFC.  I like this idea the most, but I'm hesitant
> to put display HTML code (which is essentially the point of this module)
> inside a CFC.  I'd love your input on this.

I prefer to have my UI be CFC-free.  UDFs where I need functions, tags
(called with CFIMPORT) for where I need widgets, and then just a bunch
of simple CFML.   Rendering UIs (server-side) is generally a pretty
procedural process, so I think a totally procedural paradigm is the
best fit for the task.  Mix in CFCs, and you suddenly have to deal
with return variables rather than text output and no access to the
variables scope, among other things.

cheers,
barneyb

--