I have done both. It really depends on what the client wants and the hosting
environment. I did one where the items were held in a temporary database
table with a UUID simply because the client wanted to make sure that the
customer could come back to their items if they either changed their minds
later on or if something happened like their computer shut down
unexpectedly. I put a time/date stamp on the cart and would purge the cart
after 5 days.
We also set it up so that if a registered (i.e. logged in customer) was
shopping and they did not finalize their purchase, it would kick an email to
them saying that they still had items in their cart and that they were going
to be deleted in x days, and gave them a link to go back to the site and
decide if they wanted to buy the items.

I personally favor the holding of the items myself for the reason you said
below, if something happens, you don't want the customer to have to go back
and put all their items back into the cart. That would be a fast way to get
me away from your site.

Bruce