> Vopmail still has a problem with from lines of just a name and no domain.
> Vopmail assumes the sender must be from the default domain and the server
> and then will let it relay. That is a definite no-no. Thus it is very hard
> to get VOPMail off the spam block lists.

Oddly enough, this just went through the VOPmail list. Indeed, VOPmail does
not check the actual account, only the domain. This is not a bug but by
design as checking the existence of the actual account is next to worthless
since almost all domains have a postmaster account. Even if the domain does
not have a postmaster account, a DNS lookup should reveal one or more
accounts.

> Vircom has been aware of the problem for some time, yet they have been
> unwilling to do anything about it.

Actually, they've been busy working on features that will actually have some
benefit, such as preventing spam without disrupting service.

> I too have strongly recommended Vircom's
> VOPMail in the past. But this recent discovery of a spam hole and lack of
> fix from Vircom over a known spam hole makes me question my past
> recommendations.

Actually, even the RBLs call VOPmail a "Best of Breed" product when it comes
to anti-relay/anti-spam functionality:

http://maps.vix.com/tsi/ar-fix.html#vopmail

Benjamin S. Rogers
Web Developer, c4.net