>> If a host receives 1,000,000 e-mails from a single host
>> in a day, can't it be flagged as suspicious activity and
>> rerouted to a temp account or dumped?

They aren't from a single hosts, these guys are relaying off hundreds of
hosts. Sometimes as few as 20 emails before switching hosts. This is a big
deal and if you haven't seen much talk about it, you will. It is really bad
and only getting worse.

Secondly, can you imagine 1,000,000 messages going to a temp account. These
emails are running about 1200 bytes per message. Your email box would need
1.2GB of disk space each and every day for each domain under attack. Can you
imagine if you happen to host just three domains that are under this sort of
attack.

Then look at the bandwidth to deliver that many emails. It is a sustained
bandwidth of over 1,000 Kbits per second of traffic. By the time you add in
the overhead for signaling, packet retransmission and acknowledgement back,
it almost doubles to 2,000 Kbits/second. More than what a T1 can handle.
That is a full T1 just to handle incoming Spam. Even if you are able to
successfully block at the firewall or router, you are still looking at
around 100 Kbits per second 24 hours a day banging needlessly against your
firewall chewing up bandwidth that you pay for to block Spam. Now tell me
Spam doesn't cost the ISP any money.

Then the horsepower you need at the firewall just to handle the simultaneous
connections. A dual Proc box is almost a minimum. The numbers are scary. The
number of small ISP's falling prey to this every day is really unbelievable.
Those hardest hit are the hosting companies.

Every ISP that has ever been hit by these attacks call it worse then a
denial of service. In fact, that is exactly what it is.  A denial of service
attack that is preventing your legitimate customers from using your email
resources.

Dictionary attack Spam is the single greatest threat to email companies, web
hosting companies and ISP's today. Until the email vendors develop more
comprehensive software, and ISP's do a better job of blocking open relays,
we are all in trouble.

 - Steve