> For improved performance you could build views that join the
> tables together.  Views are faster than running plain old
> select queries and doing all the joins.

This is not generally true, actually. To improve performance, views have to
be indexed or materialized, and they generally aren't by default. They can,
of course, still be useful as a way to flatten the relational structure of
your database so that it's easier to work with.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/