Sure.  It follows basically the same principle.

([a-z0-9]{2}).?\1

This is, btw, a fairly inefficient regex, so I wouldn't run it against,
say, a K of data at a time, but for 8 chars, I expect the regex engine
overhead will be larger.  In other words, for your purposes, it's fine.

(Not tested, YMMV)

--Ben "HoF Regex Ninja" Doom