gary gilbert wrote:
> Hi Paul I had similar problems and blogged about it here:
> http://www.garyrgilbert.com/blog/index.cfm/2007/8/8/CFIMAGE-Part-4-Remote-Images

thanks, i'll have a read now.

> The problem seems to be only with large images, smaller ones I didn't give
> me a problem.  If you try to pull a smaller image from flickr they tend to

no, i get this issue w/130kb as well as 2mb+ images on that site. in fact the
image that's throwing the 500 error is the smallest one i tested. i've had no
problems w/some fairly huge images (1944 x 2592) from a couple of nikons both
local & "remote" (same server but grabbed from URL).

> I tried to read the image from the url write it to disk and then read the
> image back from disk but you end up losing the exif data when you do that

yup, i'm storing images in BLOBs for use w/flex so i need to save all the EXIF
data i can. that's why i'm trying to develop some intelligence about what to
expect from each major camera model. also curious about datetime formats across
camera models.

> I used <cfhttp method="get"
> url="http://farm1.static.flickr.com/97/232021390_ad47422845_o.jpg
> " path="c:\"/>  Which got the image and wrote it to disk with the original

yes i tried that (as well as simply copying, "save image as" in FF) but still
ran into problems reading the EXIF for many files.

thanks.

ps: any idea about creating thumbnails from BLOBs then back to BLOBs? i keep
getting errors about cfimage not knowing the image type (ie no file, so type).