As others have said Subversion works pretty good as a version control, but it
can be somewhat hairy to set up. There's a one-click installer for Windows on
tigris.org that's really helpful, http://svn1clicksetup.tigris.org/

Not only does it install the Windows binaries for SVN 1.2.3 and running SVN as
a Windows Service, but also adds Tortoise SVN 1.2.5 from the single installer.
The installer also walks you through creating a first repository with trunk,
branches, and tags folders.

hth,

larry