This is where something like Rails migrations would be a great thing
for a CF framework to copy.  All of your database changes are kept in
ruby files that describe table creation, column additions, table
deletions, and if so needed, raw sql statements to create functions or
stored procs.  Every ruby migration file is a migration point and has
two methods 'up' and 'down', anything you do in the up method must be
reflected as an opposite action in the down method.  So if you're at
migration 18 and you want to go back to version 16, "rake db:migrate
VERSION=16" will do all the necessary changes for you.