From: jonese [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2007 10:00 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Boomsocket Alpha Trial

All,
First off I apologize for not letting everyone on the list know it was
confined to MS SQL right now. I deserve any tongue lashings i get for this
huge oversight.

Yes we have plans to port to MySQL and PostgreSQL in the future, BUT we
don't have a hard time line for when this will happen.

boomsocket is actually a heavily modified version of another CMS Digital
Positions used to have called i3SiteTools. We spent a few months stripping
out all the paid software, re-skinning the interface and adding new features
and other stuff for the open source initiative. boomsocket is based on CMS
code which began development over 7 years ago and was built for our
Microsoft based clients.

I'm dying to get it ported to MySQL and PostgreSQL personally and i know
it's something others in the company want to do as well.
The two primary constraints keeping us from moving forward today are simply
time -- we are a production shop and have to deliver client billable work to
keep the lights on, and internal expertise in other data systems outside of
MS SQL. Based on the architecture of boomsocket and the existing MS SQL DB a
conversion shouldn't be a hard thing but it's not going to be something we
could do over night.

Currently we only employ a handful of stored procedures and that's about it
for MSSQL specific code. Most everything else is simple tables, views, etc.
One of the reasons I include the .sql script is in hopes that a brilliant
and talented MySQL / PostgreSQL developer who knows MS SQL will look at that
and say. "geez this is so easy, I'll do it". Heck he/she doesn't even have
to be brilliant or very talented just dedicated to the cause.

As for the suggestions to use some ORM that too would be awesome, but again
with a CMS which is based on 7 years of development it's a major change for
us to move to an ORM. I've looked personally but I'm only one man on the
team and tend to be the "go to guy" for DB ad back end stuff. So again i
have to ask for help from the community.

We are primarily a windows shop (duh, it's pretty obvious at this point). We
know many of you aren't and we know we live in a bubble right now. We are
trying to change this for many reasons, with the open source initiative
being one of those driving forces.

We believe that the problems boomsocket solves and the efficiencies gained
in using it to develop web properties make it worth your attention otherwise
we would not bother putting it out there. Please give it a closer look ---
get excited, give us more feedback and help us make it better, faster and
supported on more platforms.

Eric Jones aka jonese
boomsocket Developer

On 10/19/07, Andy Matthews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I gave this a shot last night and was disappointed to find out that
> it's SQL Server only right now. I was forced to stop about 3/4 through
> the install as I only have MySQL available to me. I respect their
> decision to stick with a robust RDBMS but I'm betting that not very
> many people have their own personal copies of SQL Server hanging
> around. I'd also bet that no one is going to want to install alpha
software on a production server.