All,
First off I apologize for not letting everyone on the list know it was
confined to MS SQL right now. I deserve any tongue lashings i get for
this huge oversight.

Yes we have plans to port to MySQL and PostgreSQL in the future, BUT
we don't have a hard time line for when this will happen.

boomsocket is actually a heavily modified version of another CMS
Digital Positions used to have called i3SiteTools. We spent a few
months stripping out all the paid software, re-skinning the interface
and adding new features and other stuff for the open source
initiative. boomsocket is based on CMS code which began development
over 7 years ago and was built for our Microsoft based clients.

I'm dying to get it ported to MySQL and PostgreSQL personally and i
know it's something others in the company want to do as well.
The two primary constraints keeping us from moving forward today are
simply time -- we are a production shop and have to deliver client
billable work to keep the lights on, and internal expertise in other
data systems outside of MS SQL. Based on the architecture of
boomsocket and the existing MS SQL DB a conversion shouldn't be a hard
thing but it's not going to be something we could do over night.

Currently we only employ a handful of stored procedures and that's
about it for MSSQL specific code. Most everything else is simple
tables, views, etc. One of the reasons I include the .sql script is in
hopes that a brilliant and talented MySQL / PostgreSQL developer who
knows MS SQL will look at that and say. "geez this is so easy, I'll do
it". Heck he/she doesn't even have to be brilliant or very talented
just dedicated to the cause.

As for the suggestions to use some ORM that too would be awesome, but
again with a CMS which is based on 7 years of development it's a major
change for us to move to an ORM. I've looked personally but I'm only
one man on the team and tend to be the "go to guy" for DB ad back end
stuff. So again i have to ask for help from the community.

We are primarily a windows shop (duh, it's pretty obvious at this
point). We know many of you aren't and we know we live in a bubble
right now. We are trying to change this for many reasons, with the
open source initiative being one of those driving forces.

We believe that the problems boomsocket solves and the efficiencies
gained in using it to develop web properties make it worth your
attention otherwise we would not bother putting it out there. Please
give it a closer look --- get excited, give us more feedback and help
us make it better, faster and supported on more platforms.

Eric Jones aka jonese
boomsocket Developer