I whole-heartedly agree and when I get some time I will do some testing.
What I imagine to be the case is that the more complex the SQL required, the
more likely it is that a stored procedure is beneficial but perhaps this is
wrong (it is certainly blind assumption).

Regardless of that, I like to contain all my data logic inside the database
itself - feels clear in my head that way.

Anyways, this is drifting off topic - just wanted to give an alternative to
the OPs solution to his problem ;)

Dom