Back when I was doing Corporate Support with a regional ISP (4.5 days)
we used to do this with .inc files (which were included via cfinclude)
within a home rolled CMS. We also did it with an Article manager for an
online magazine using .art file extensions. We were on IIS at the time,
so it was a matter of telling IIS that the CF server was to parse files
with those extensions. I imagine it would be the same on Apache in the
config.

     <IfModule mod_jrun20.c>
         JRunConfig Verbose true
         #JRunConfig Apialloc false
         JRunConfig Ignoresuffixmap false
         JRunConfig Serverstore
"C:/JRun4/lib/wsconfig/control/jrunserver.store"
         JRunConfig Bootstrap 127.0.0.1:51002
         AddHandler jrun-handler .jsp .jws .cfm .cfml .cfc .cfr .cfswf
..inc .art
     </IfModule>

Not sure I would try it with a standard file type like .txt or .ini
though. That could create some confusion...

Steve "Cutter" Blades
Adobe Certified Professional
Advanced Macromedia ColdFusion MX 7 Developer
http://blog.cutterscrossing.com