Thanks for the reply Dan,

I take your point on the code. It's just that the actual code is really
rather simple:

<cfset unsent_list = "">

<cfinvoke component="#request.cfc_root#mailing" method="getListEmails"
returnvariable="qry_getListEmails">
        <cfinvokeargument name="listID" value="#Form.mailing_list#">
</cfinvoke>

<cfloop query="qry_getListEmails">

<cfset trimmed_email = Trim(email_address)>

<cfif IsEmail(#trimmed_email#) IS 'yes'>

Send the email

<cfelse>

Log that the email address was not valid and don't send email

</cfif>

The query is returning the expected data - I've tried dumping it and I can
see that email addresses aren't duplicated.

I've tried duplicating the problem and have so far been unable to. I'm going
to try with a large list of safe email addresses shortly.

Normally, I'd agree that this is probably down to the user clicking submit
more than once, but this particular client is very reliable. However, I will
look at implementing something that prevents this from happening - I'm think
CFTHREAD is perfect here. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Cheers

Will