In Verity, you CAN search within the "customX" fields as well as all other
fields (category, author, etc...).

Verity is, however, mostly useless unless you are trying to find exact matches.
The ranking engine in verity is the equivalent of the "FindNoCase" function in
CF. It will return a T/F. Thats it. There is no ranking in Verity based on the
NUMBER of times your search term was matched (or anything else useful such as
"<h1>" or "<title>").

Verity automatically provides stemming (horse -> horses and vice versa) which
is nice BUT it ranks matches the same (horse is worth the same as horses). It
supports thesaurus (fast -> quick and vice versa), but the same ranking problem
exists and MS SQL supports theasurus as well (without the ranking problem).

In all, I would recommend against using Verity under any/all circumstance if
there is even the slightest alternative. We just spent MANY hours building a
robust search for a client based on the VERITY engine and we deeply regret it.

Everything could have been done in SQL (SQL 2005 also has a VASTLY superior
ranking engine to Verity) and then we could have simplified JOINs and other
filters. Add the utility of the JOINs to a 20x (at least) performance INCREASE
in MS SQL and you have a clear winner.

If your content is specifically web sites, I'd also recommend checking out the
google search API and/or google Co-op.

Avoid Verity if you have ANY alternative options and you don't hate yourself.

au/