> I'm using Efflare's ImageFlare 1.5 tag for a variety of image
> operations (resizing, compositing etc.) in our application.  Things
> have been running great for the past year and then all of a sudden a
> week ago, we started seeing the tag crash on us:  "ImageFlare CR
> Exception [LoadFailed:140425]" or ImageFlare CR Exception [SaveFailed:150420]
> .The error is intermittant...a page which calls the tag will fail the
> first time it is called and then be OK the second or third time.
> Seems like its running at about a 2% failure rate.  We're running
> CF8; no code or configuration changes have been made for at least 6
> weeks preceeding the issue.  Our server usage has been climbing
> steadily, but the issue manifests itself regardless of the server
> load.  Anybody else encounter anything like this?

ImageFlare 1.5 uses the ImageCR 3 engine.

Exceptions are a feature we added to ImageCR 3. They work like any
other kind of exception and throw a proper ColdFusion exception.

Exceptions can be disabled with THROWEXCEPTIONS=0 and errors can
still be checked with the imagecr.error* return values.

Load and save failures are valid handled exceptions indicating
a problem loading or saving a file as directed. The possible
causes are numerous and can range from something as simple as a
bad filename to something as obscure as mis-configured hardware.

Load failures which occur only on the first attempted load are
usually the result of a concurrency dilemma in the system. What
usually happens is the file in question is not yet fully available
at the time ImageCR is called, but will become fully available soon.
Web developers are usually protected from this by a database, but
dealing directly with file I/O, particularly with large amounts of
heavily processed data (images), can lead to concurrency dilemmas.

In addition, hardware and/or OS configuration can make the problem
worse, particularly if configured for speed instead of stability.

The most common culprit is write caching after an http upload.

"""
If write caching is enabled on the disk drive, when the server sends a
write command to the drive, it immediately tells the computer that the
write operation is completed (even though the data has not yet been
written to the disk). The data is stored in the write cache and written
to the disk later (when the write head has been positioned over the data
area and the disk has rotated to the location where the data will be
written). By immediately telling the computer the data is written, the
computer does not have to wait and can go on with its computing tasks.
Eliminating the time the computer waits for writes to complete may
improve system performance.
"""

"""
There is a small amount of time where the host software thinks the data
is safely written on the disk, yet it is held in volatile cache memory
on the disk drive. The host server has no visibility that the
information sent to the disk drive was not written to the media since
all commands are returned with good status to the system.
"""

From: http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/technolo/writecache/writecache.htm

> On a related note, does anyone know if Efflare is still supporting
> this tag because I have not been able to rouse them through any of
> their regular support channels.

What e-mail address did you send your support request from?

--
 Magnus