> This is something that can take the server some time to do - I would
> suggest using asynchronous processing or scheduled task to handle
> this.

We ran into some issues at my day job trying to use cfthread for
resizing images, realizing that if you're doing a lot of it, you can run
out of threads in the cfthread pool and the remaining cfthread tags will
error out if they don't get access to a thread fast enough. So one
alternative that would allow you to resize the images when the user
uploads them (no scheduled task) without slowing them down would be to
return content to the browser prior to your image editing, i.e.

<cfflush />
<cfimage ... />

I do this occasionally in the onRequestEnd (function / template). The
drawback is that you can't use cflocation after the cfflush tag to
redirect the user if you're going to do that -- and at least with any
recent version of ColdFusion you can't use cflocation before any code
you want to execute. So if you wanted to redirect the user this way, you
would want to use either a meta tag or javascript in the content before
the cfflush tag. (and I would include a "continue" link also)

Another alternative would be to use <cfhttp /> to spawn a request for a
page in your application that performs the image manipulation without
waiting for the http result content. I'm told there is a way to use
cfhttp (a particular timeout value I think) in which ColdFusion doesn't
wait for the response, although I haven't personally used it. This way
you could span the http request and then redirect the browser with
cflocation if you want.

hth,
ike

--