> I had quotes around my variable name. It needed to be written like this:
>
> #replace(retProductInventory.prodlongdescription, charToReplace, "", "All")#
>
> Thanks to all...

Just FYI, I'm not aware that htmleditformat() or xmlformat() replace
those characters with any kind of entities (I could be wrong, this is
just off the top of my head), so I wouldn't think that the cftextarea or
the use of xforms would cause those entities and since you mentioned
that they were doubling up, my suspicion would be that they're being
introduced somewhere else in the code, in particular before being
inserted into the database. So I might even though you have a solution,
either keep an eye on it or have a closer look at what's happening to
the form submission between when ColdFusion receives it and when it's
being inserted into the database to see what's causing them, because if
they're in your data in the database that way, it could cause some other
problems later... and imo, it's better to deal with it sooner than later
if that's the case to limit the amount of data that might need to be
"repaired".

hth,
ike

--