> My cftextarea just outputted it straight from the field and voila,
> there's a bunch of those chars in my output. I still don't understand
> how they're gettin there.

hrm... that sounds like either a bug in ColdFusion or an issue with the
browser... I believe that one or the other is supposed to convert those
entities between the time you hit the submit button and the time it
becomes available to your ColdFusion code... in other words, anything in
the form scope should have had the escape characters translated before
there actually is a form scope to manipulate. But offhand I'm not
certain whether that translation is done by CF or by the browser. You
might try a different browser and see if it produces the same results.
Also you're not using a WYSIWIG editor on that textarea like TinyMCE or
FCKEditor are you? I didn't think you were, but figured it might be
worth mentioning. You also might want to try using a regular non-cf
textarea and see if you're still getting the same results, just to
isolate where the issue is coming from.

--
s. isaac dealey  ^  new epoch
 isn't it time for a change?