> The problem isn't that it can't be done -- the problem is
> that people (programmers) expect it to be bulletproof for a
> common situation which it's not... it could be...

I don't know why on earth you'd expect it to be "bulletproof for a common
situation", as opposed to behaving like every other *Format function. I
don't know why you'd expect it to do anything other than replace
metacharacters, since in the common parlance of most programmers I know,
that's what it means to make a string "safe" for a specific environment.
Maybe you should change your expectations.

> but there's some strange desire to not make it bulletproof
> based on a fear of ambiguous problems that might arise from
> fixing the specific problem that we know exists.

Yes! I'm much more afraid of ambiguous problems that might be caused by a
change, than I am by the ones I know how to easily solve. This is especially
true for changes that go against the common idiom of a language, as this
would. Maybe I'd be more interested if the current behavior was a serious
problem, but it's not. How hard is it to deal with this one case?

> It should just be bulletproof *if* we can make it so without
> negative side effects, and it's been proven that we can.

Just because you don't know that there are negative side effects, doesn't
mean there aren't any. The word "proof" has a stricter meaning than that.

In any case, since neither you nor I have access to the CF source code, I
suggest you file a bug report/wishlist request/whatever and move on. Maybe
you'll get what you want in CF9.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/