I have a CFC which returns a query based listing of error messages. Here
is the CFC:

<cffunction name="getMessage" access="public" description="Returns
either a structure containing all system messages, or an array
containing one or more messages corresponding to the messageID passed in
from the system messages structure">
        <cfargument name="messageID" type="string" required="false"
default="">
        <!--- Return all messages --->
        <cfif messageID eq "" or messageID eq "all">
                <cfreturn session.systemMessageStruct>
        <cfelse>
                <!--- Return messages based on incoming argument --->
                <cfquery name="variables.qMessages" dbtype="query">
                        select * from session.systemMessageStruct where
message_id = '#arguments.messageID#'
                </cfquery>
                <cfreturn variables.qMessages>
        </cfif>
</cffunction>

Here is the call to the getMessages function: (Yes it is set as an
object)
<cfset messageStruct =
application.msgMgr.getMessage(attributes.messageId)>

Now I can check it this way but at times it returns an error on the
initial startup:
<cfif messageStruct.recordcount>
 ... blah blah
</cfif>

Here is the error returned:
-----------------------------------
You have attempted to dereference a scalar variable of type class
java.lang.String as a structure with members.

TO clarify somethings:
Yes the basic structure is created as a query (dynamic query)
onApplicationStart:
<cfset variables.systemMessageStruct =
queryNew('message_id,message,messageType,IconSize')>
<!--- Copy Dynamic Query to Session Scope --->
<cfset session.systemMessageStruct = variables.systemMessageStruct>

Any idea why it would return the error or a way I can prevent it? I can
not use IsStruct since it is a query rather than a true structure?