I did this a number of years ago. The MLS listing were in a 20-50(?) meg
XML file. I was using CF 5 or maybe 6. I am pretty sure it was cf 5.

I got a script to work using a small portion of the file and then ran
the whole thing and it hung for about 1/2 hr, sucked up 700 megs of ram
(on a box with 512) the box keeled over and died. It probably had a lot
to do with poor coding as well.

I wrote a similar script in PHP but that took a solid 10 min to run and
rendered the box pretty much useless for all other calls. Not acceptable
either.

I ended up writing an Active X script used by MSSQL server's Data
Transformation services (DTS). That ended up taking a couple of seconds
to run. It was literally a little blip on task manager.

I was talking about parsing big text files with my boss the other day
and he said that he had the same problem (same time frame) and ended up
writing a DLL to do the same thing.

Seeing the number of blog posts on using Java to parse text files I am
guessing CF still has performance issues with parsing text. You could
use Java read the file and do the inserts/updates. Or run a Google
search on parsing XML with ActiveX and SQL server. I found the original
ActiveX tutorial on Experts exchange http://www.experts-exchange.com/

Jerry Guido
Programmer
MGT of America, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

The information contained in this electronic communication is intended
only for the use of the addressee, and may be a confidential
communication.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that you have received this transmittal in error; any review,
dissemination, distribution or copying of this transmittal is strictly
prohibited.