Regarding CF taking forever to read/parse large files:

CF used to load the entire file into memory when trying to read it. It was
still doing this as of CF 6 & 7, but since it was then easier to directly
invoke Java, large files could be better handled using java.io.FileReader.

http://coldfusion.sys-con.com/read/86121.htm

A client of mine had a 70+Mb inventory CSV that I had to load into MySQL. On CF
4/4.5/5, this process took at least 40 minutes. When we upgraded to CF 6, I
used the Java process and the import was down to less than 3 minutes.

CF 8 has incorporated java.io.FileReader into CFLOOP:

<cfloop file="C:\\test.txt" index="x" />

So now CF can read large files on the fly without the overhead from previous
versions.

Also, many people don't know that MySQL can import CSV files directly if you
have the correct access:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/load-data.html

HTH,

Adrian