Hi Ian,

I suspected as so. I don't know of any development platform that can grab
the file name before going to the server. I have tried some javascript
controls, but it doesn't work the same for all clients, and of course if
someone has spyware or browser problems it'll crash their browser. I don't
like to depend on the client for anything when it comes to web development.

Thanks,

Rick

You can't with ColdFusion.  The browser does not tell the server
anything about the file before the upload occurs.  It just bundles the
entire file up and sends it with the request to the server generated
when the user selects the 'submit' control.  Then the web server takes
the file from the request and writes it to a temp file location.  It
then passes the request to ColdFusion telling it where this temp
location is.  ColdFusion then does what you tell it to do with the file.

To do anything before this must be done on the Client usually with
JavaScript.  But it is not so easy to access information about any user
file selections with JavaScript for security reasons.  The one technique
I've seen is to mirror the path string from the file control to a hidden
control.  One then can do some JS validation with the hidden control value.