> > All the evidence we can gather points to the fact that Allaire,
> > Macromedia and now Adobe are profitable with the ColdFusion pricing
> > model exactly as it stands.  So, there's very little motivation to
> > address their marketing approach.  If they were losing money on
> > ColdFusion, I think you'd see them either doing more marketing, or
> > dropping the product line entirely.
>
> If they are making good money on it, and it's mostly from the
> enterprise sector, wouldn't it make sense to let the
> educational institutions have it for free?  This way
> enterprise would have a better pool of talent, and are more
> likely to get CF/stick with CF in the coming years.
>
> Look everyone has to make sacrifices in order to be
> competitive.  MS released SQL Express in response to MYSQL
> and PostgreSQL.  Oracle released Oracle Lite.  Even though
> this might've caused a hit for their sales of SQL Server
> standard and workgroup, they are probably getting more sales
> for SQL Server Enterprise, and less people moving to free platforms.

If some guy from Adobe told you how to run your business, wouldn't that be a
bit presumptuous?

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/

Fig Leaf Training: Adobe/Google/Paperthin Certified Partners
http://training.figleaf.com/

WebManiacs 2008: the ultimate conference for CF/Flex/AIR developers!
http://www.webmaniacsconference.com/