Ask Tom describes this well with regards to Oracle:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/oramag/oracle/05-nov/o65asktom.html

The drawback (with Oracle at least) is that if one tries to update the
same row from two different serializable transactions, you'll get an
error. Of course this can be trapped and appropriate action taken.