Ike, thank you :)

Turns out the problem was much simpler.  Although to be fair to myself, I have
to say that most of the online documentation I've found completely ignores the
presence of a XmlCData element and only references the XmlText element.

Turns out that you don't have to add/replace the <![CDATA[ and ]]> manually
either, saving to node.XmlCData instead of node.XmlText will handle it all.

http://livedocs.adobe.com/coldfusion/7/htmldocs/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=ColdFusion_Documentation&file=00001512.htm