On 11/21/00, Dave Watts penned:
>I don't think you'd always want to simply set BLOCKFACTOR to 100. If you set
>the BLOCKFACTOR too large, the database driver will lower it - and I'm not
>sure exactly how it figures out what to lower it to. It might simply lower
>it back to the default value of 1, which won't serve you well.

I wouldn't think it would lower it to 1.

>Allaire recommends that you divide your maximum record length into 32Kb; I
>suspect they recommend this because you might not get optimal performance
>otherwise. I could be wrong about this, though. I don't know enough about
>how things work at that relatively low level to be sure one way or the
>other.

OK, how do you figure out the max record length? A byte for every
character in every field in the record? Or only the fields that are
actually included in the query?

So, if all the fields have 1024 characters max, it would be 32 / 1
for a blockfactor of 32?
--

Bud Schneehagen - Tropical Web Creations

ColdFusion Solutions / eCommerce Development
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.twcreations.com/
954.721.3452