> On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 9:37 AM, Rick Faircloth
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Perhaps it's time for those of us who are sticking with AHP to start
> >  compiling a list of "requests" addressing what we would like to see
> >  improved based on this latest problem...
> >
> >  1)  Daily Emails to Clients (I prefer an email to a website post)
>
> as i understand it, a number of clients were without e-mail due to the
> problem.  receiving an e-mail notification that your email is
> unavailable doesn't seem like it would be quite as effective as
> posting to the support page of the site.

        True.  Since I run my own mail server (at this point...getting ready to
shut
that down, too), I hadn't suffered from that problem.  However, I think we'd
do well to have email hosted elsewhere to communication can flow when a primary
resource provider (hosting, in this case) is having problems, or to at least
have
an alternative email address to use in situations like this so clients can
communicate.
But perhaps a *both* solutions rather than *either/or* is better... post to the
site and
send a client email from AHP.

> >  2)  Failover solution
>
> would be nice, sure.  but let's also keep things in perspective.  i
> think AHP's VPS solution is probably one of the least expensive that
> i've seen.  there's really only going to be so much that AHP can
> provide at the current price still make it worth his while.  if there
> are extra bells and whistles added, i would expect at some point he'd
> have to introduce a new pricing tier.  you've already said you'd be
> willing to pay an extra 50% for failover, which i don't think would be
> unreasonable.  just want to point out that while it's nice to have a
> list of "nice-to-haves", be realistic in setting your expectations
> versus what you're paying per month.

        If what I pay now is adequate for AHP to provide a VPS, I would think
that an "unused" (no bandwidth) VPS at 50% more might be reasonable...but maybe
not.  That would be a point Greg would have to respond to.  Or I would think
that
creating VPS backup servers when needed would not be a big deal when a major
upgrade
is being performed on primary servers.  Plan to upgrade 10 servers, create VPS
duplicates, upgrade the servers, if something goes wrong switch to backups, if
not,
carry on...

> might also be nice to give the guy a couple of days to recuperate
> before presenting a list of demands.  i'd imagine he's probably not
> slept in 8+ days :)

        I mentioned elsewhere (not on this thread) that I wanted to give Greg
a chance to catch his breath and recoup a little before embarking on changes.
(The VCP change was probably enough for him until 2009! :o)

> >  3)  ?
>
> i agree with this one tho ;)

        I thought that one would be a favorite...