Michael, you are not alone. Many of us have dealt with JRun suddenly
hitting the ceiling, typically from increased traffic or changes to our
systems or application architecture. Have you, as yet, spent any time
tuning your JVM? Heavily searched through your application for possible
memory leaks? In our continued efforts to optimize our application's
performance, I've started collecting some bookmarks of interesting posts
across the blogosphere. Especially interesting was this posting from
Jason Sheedy, and the comments that follow:

http://www.jmpj.net/jason/index.cfm/2007/4/14/Cold-Fusion-Memory-Leak

There was a follow up that he put out in the middle of those comments:

http://www.jmpj.net/jason/index.cfm/2007/5/11/Cold-Fusion-Memory-Leak-Continued

And some additional reads after that might be:

http://www.petefreitag.com/articles/gctuning/
http://www.webapper.net/index.cfm/2006/6/8/20060606021131
http://www.robisen.com/index.cfm/2006/5/26/More-on-ColdFusion-tuning-and-clarifying-JRUNXML-settings
http://www.talkingtree.com/blog/index.cfm?mode=alias&alias=ContextSwitchingBad

Some of this is dated, but almost all of it still applies. Another item
to consider is what version of the JVM you are using. If you are running
CF8, which ships with 1.6, there are several reports of improved
performance when dropping back to using the 1.5 JVM. Details on how to
change which JVM CF utilizes can be found here:

http://www.forta.com/blog/index.cfm?mode=entry&entry=A61BAA93-3048-80A9-EF7306C155FD29F4

None of the things talked about in the above posts are for the
uninitiated or the faint of heart. Back up everything. There are also
several organizations/contractors who might assist you with your issues.
Charlie Arehart can provide phone, and higher level, support. Webapper
has been doing that sort of work for quite some time. The guys at Alagad
have an extremely talented staff. If you happen to ask one of these
folks for help then please let them know I sent ya;)

Hope some of this helps.

Steve "Cutter" Blades
Adobe Certified Professional
Advanced Macromedia ColdFusion MX 7 Developer
http://blog.cutterscrossing.com