I think this might work...

- to start, in db, 2 records, display-order values 10 and 20

- form submitted with display-order value of 15

- run insert query using value of 15

- now three records, display-order values 10, 15, 20

- run query to retrieve total recordcount

- loop query with index and run internal update query setting each
  display-order value to index*10

Am I missing anything?  Any "gotcha's" in that approach?

Rick