Personally, I like MS SQL Express.  The only thing is that it doesn't come
with an agent, AFAIK, so you'll need to find another way to do backups.

If you don't want limitations, I would go with MySQL, but I could never get
used to it, as the management tools sucked.  Some people suggested something
like NaviCat, which I haven't tried yet.

This is the first I'm hearing of Apache Derby, and although I'm sure it's a
nice project, it's written in Java, which means it will be slower then MSSQL
and MySQL, and it probably doesn't have good management tools.

Russ