I couldn't quite tell from your sentence whether you were saying Derby
doesn't have a good managment tool like MySQL, or if you thought MySQL
doesn't have a good management suite.

Just in case it was the latter, or in case anyone else isn't aware of it,
I'll bore you with a gushing mention of the MySQL Administrator.

Until a few weeks ago, I was doing everything through phpMyAdmin, thinking
that was the height of administration. So much better than the hand-scripts
I was writing to do everything.

But my boss sent me the MySQL Administrator, and WOW, what a difference.
Still not quite on par with Enterprise Manager for MSSQL, due to speed and
interface, but it is pretty close, and more than enough for the job at hand.

MySQL Administrator 1.2 - http://www.mysql.com/products/tools/administrator/
MySQL Query Browser 1.2 -
http://www.mysql.com/products/tools/migration-toolkit/
MySQL Migration Toolkit 1.1 -