This sounds exactly like the problem we ran into with one of our apps that is
under very high load.  Template cache settings and JVM settings do not make a
noticeable difference one way or another in this case.  I worked closely with
Adobe support on this issue (bug 70837).  Via some very simple code I wrote to
reproduce the problem, Adobe found a bug in JVM 1.6 that basically hoses the
template cache / classloading.

Because JVMs 1.4 and 1.5 (and even a beta of 1.7 I tried) do not have the same
problem as 1.6, Adobe saw these as feasible workarounds and thus marked this
issue as a low-priority bug.

We started using 1.5, and the problems went away immediately.  I recommend
anyone else with performance problems do the same.  If another JVM is not an
option, perhaps we can contact Adobe again and get them to push out a hotfix.

<quote>
However, if you are unable to continue in your production environment with the
workarounds that you have found and would like a hotfix for this specific
issue, let me know and I will inform the engineers to set a higher priority for
this bug.
</quote>