Yes, Ravi is correct.  If CF is not connected to your webserver, the
CFML will not run at all, and data will not be inserted.

Are you doing some kind of cfheader/cfcontent, or javascript relocate
somewhere?

I'm thinking if your code does something like this:
    1. get the XML
    2. parse through it
    3. do your cfcontent, or serve up another page that results in the
blank file
    4. loop through your data and insert into DB

1 and 2 is why it takes a while to have that dialog box to save
index.cfm come up.

3 is what makes that dialog box come up

4 keeps on going because the request has been made.  You've confirmed
this in MySQL.  It's like a user going to "long_running_page.cfm", and
then not waiting for the page to load and navigate to
"any_other_page.cfm". "long_running_page.cfm" is still executing on the
server, even though the user is totally unaware of it (most users anyway).

If it was the web connector, then the cfm file would never execute, and
just get served up like ordinary html, by either displaying the unparsed
cfml, or asking the file to be saved.