We take a similar approach. I guess to expand on his explination, we a
have a separate field in the users table that contains a UUID, generated
at the time the request for a new password is made. The link thats gets
sent out doesn't include the UserID, just the UUID. Then, when the
password is reset, the UUID field is set back to NULL. We also have a 24
hr window in which to get the thing reset.

Hope this helps!
Ryan