Well you can scratch any of those options that involve sending the user the
password in plain text... you don't know it.

In CF4em, I've stored all passwords as hashes as well and the only option is
to reset the password. The steps I take to do so are this...

Each user record has a 'resetPasswordKey' field. When a user forgets their
password, they enter their email address, the system finds the record,
generates a key with createUUID() and sets that to the 'resetPasswordKey'
field and emails a link to the password reset form with the key appended to
the URL.

Once you get to the form, it matches the record again but this time by the
resetPasswordKey. If it finds the record, the form asks for the new
password, hashes it and updates the database with the new password hash and
sets the resetPasswordKey field to NULL again.

You can download CF4em at http://cf4em.com if you want to see the actual
code.

Bobby Hartsfield
http://acoderslife.com