Guess I should have explained since the topic is shifting this direction.

I don't have to worry about whether their JS is turned on.  It is for a
Intranet web site that I have control over what browsers and browser settings
are being used.

I just need to find the best functions in CF8 to accomplish my goal.  So far it
looks like I have to brush up on my javascript to get CF8 to do what I want.

I will check out the link you sent.

So far I have the following,  but I need to switch it to a form instead of a
hyperlink and somehow get the text input into the ColdFusion.navigate function.
 I think I can do this with javascript.

<head>
<!--- The Callback handler puts text in the window.cfm callback div. --->
<script language="javascript">
    var mycallBack = function(){
printed by the callback handler.</b>";
    }

<!--- The error handler pops an alert with the error code and message. --->
    var myerrorhandler = function(errorCode,errorMessage){
        alert("[In Error Handler]" + "\n\n" + "Error Code: " + errorCode +
"\n\n" + "Error Message: " + errorMessage);
    }
</script>
</head>

<cfdiv id="w1">
    This is a cfwindow control.<br><br>
Plates','w2',
        mycallBack,myerrorhandler);">Click</a> to navigate Window 2</a>
</cfdiv>

<cfdiv id="w2">
    This is a second cfwindow control.
</cfdiv>