On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 11:17 AM, Katrina Chapman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I haven't been a member of this list for a few years now, but I remember it
> being a place where even the most beginning person could come for advice.
> This is a community and not a place for you to show how much more you know
> than the next guy.
> I really don't think this response is appropriate and I'm sure that most of
> the community feels the same way.  How about next time instead of saying
> "You're an idiot," you either give some good advice or don't respond?  That
> way there's no "waste of everyone else's time" reading posts that aren't
> helpful.  You might also find that you'll get better responses to any
> questions you have if you're nice.
> *Down off my soap box now*

ok so this is just my $0.02...

It's not unreasonable to expect that when somebody asks for help (asks
for you to give up your own time) that they've already made
*reasonable* efforts to solve the problem on their own.  The "How To
Ask Questions The Smart Way" page
(http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html) is pretty well
known for illustrating... well, how to ask questions the smart way.

That being said, the person in question has posted numerous times to
this list and his questions never seem to indicate that he's even put
forth the smallest amount of effort to learn how to do what needs
doing.  In Brian's defense, he (Brian) has responded to questions
posed by Erik numerous times in what I considered to be a fairly
courteous manner.  He's pointed out the link that I referenced above,
he's tried to teach Erik how to figure things out on his own.  When
you've been doing this for a while (answering questions on mailing
lists), you get a sense for who is genuinely making an effort and who
is just looking for a quick answer.  When it's the latter, you're
hesitant to provide that quick answer because you *know* that person
will just keep coming back for the quick answer, expecting others to
spend their time answering his/her question.

Brian's advice (again, IMHO) *has* been good.  Very good.  Assuming
that the person actually has an interest in learning.

I like to believe the purpose of lists like this is to teach people.
Not to answer questions for (e.g. do the work for) people who don't
want to learn.

/me passes the soapbox to the next person in line.

--
A byte walks into a bar and orders a pint. Bartender asks him "What's
wrong?" Byte says "Parity error." Bartender nods and says "Yeah, I