I think the thing to remember is not everyone reading mailing lists as
things come in or worse later down the road in some sort of archives, is not
going to always be familiar with the history of users.  So depending on the
person lashing out, it could bite them in the butt later on.  Obviously
someone more known in the community though it would be doubtful to bite them
but guess it depends on how often they do it.  So with that said, sometimes
it is best just not to say anything at all if someone is asking questions
that "annoy" people.