Hi, Dave...

Yes, Mike's doing that.  He's explaining the concept in "non-jargon"
terms, then identifying the concept by its proper term.  He did that
with "encapsulation", for example.  Instantiation, also.

I think what he intends, by his approach to teaching, is to teach
the concepts first without relying on the unfamiliar terms, thereby
avoiding unnecessary initial confusion. Once the reader understands
the concept, the label is applied.

It's the way I like to teach music... teach the student how to make
music first, then tell them what they're doing in standard musical terms.

Rick