> Now this is real bad for shared hosting customers.
> Cause even if we protect our sites, that SQL simply
> queries all tables in the SQL server.  So, if you
> found your data compromise, the leak may have been
> caused by other sites that are using the same SQL
> machine, duh!

On SQL Server the sysobjects and syscolumns tables are per-database, so any
script that queries those will only see the tables and such for the database
it's running inside of.  This particular attack will stay within the
database being queried and not go outside, so if your site is hit with this
attack it's a sure sign that there is a problem in your code somewhere that
let it in.

Given that, I have seen SQL injection attacks that will go try to query the
'master' database on SQL Server, look at the sysdatabases table, and then go
crawl through every database it can get access to (and if it can get to
master, it's a good bet it can get to everything else).  Those are the
really nasty ones.

If the hosting company is at all competent, they will have a unique username
and password for each client database (or each client shared among your
databases) which can't access other client databases.  Not only does it help
contain SQL injection attacks, it keeps other hosting clients out of your
databases (and you out of theirs).

-Justin Scott